Friday, November 14, 2008

GM Names 1st Black Female Design Director!


Congratulations to Crystal L. Windham, General Motors’ first black female Director of General Motors North American Passenger Car Design.
Ms. Windham will head the interior design for GM’s Global Midsize Car, Global Compact Car, and Global Small Car.
She was a lead designer on the 2008 award winning Chevy Malibu “Car of the Year.”
“A mentor guided me towards automotive design. Without guidance and support from family and co-workers, I wouldn’t be where I am today. I truly love my job- it’s creative, expressive - but it is not easy. Enjoying what you do, however, makes it all worthwhile. I hope other young women will look to what I have done and be inspired to consider automotive design,” she said.
There are so many careers to choose from in our ever expanding global market, but many young people aren’t aware of even half of them. Perhaps Ms. Windham also can inspire them to search beyond traditional careers to find the one that makes the best fit.
“As an interior designer,” she says, “I create solutions and appealing spaces for customers. As a leader it’s my job to foster creativity and ensure that creativity is represented in the final product.
Ms. Windham has a Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design from the Center for Creative Studies and a Master’s degree in Business Administration from the University of Detroit - Mercy.

No comments: