Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Today's Word: Where's Yahvah When It Hurts?

Where's Yahvah When It Hurts?


In the midst of pain, it's hard to see the good.

by Philip Yancey

I'm wearing a neck brace because I broke my neck in an auto accident. For the first few hours as I lay strapped to a body board, medical workers refused to give me pain medication because they needed my response. The doctor kept moving my limbs, asking, "Does this hurt? Do you feel that?"

The correct answer, the answer we wanted, was, "Yes. It hurts. I can feel it." And thankfully, each time, that was my answer.

Each sensation of pain gave proof that my spinal cord had not been severed. Pain offered proof my body remained whole.

It's normal to regard pain as a negative, but as I learned on that body board, pain is a mark of life. Remember that as you cope with pain. Don't try to numb it. Instead, acknowledge pain as an affirmation of life.

All Things Redeemed

We all feel pain. I would like to promise you a long, pain-free life, but I cannot. Rather, the Machiachian view of the world says this: The world is good. The world has fallen. The world will be redeemed. That's the Machiachian story in a nutshell.

Yahvah has promised a time when evil will be defeated, when events like the shootings at Nickel Mines and Columbine and Virginia Tech will come to an end. Until then, he's promised that the scars we accumulate from pain will be used, somehow, for good. They will be a mark of life.

As the Apostle Paul writes in Romans 8, all things can work together for your good. Paul spells out some of the things he encountered, which included beatings, illness, imprisonment, shipwreck and kidnapping. As he looked back, he could see that somehow Yahvah had redeemed even those crisis events in his life.

"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us," Paul concluded. "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of Yahvah that is in Machiach Yeshua our Lord" (Romans 8:37–39, NIV).

But in the midst of the pain, it's hard to see the good. It's easy to question Yahvah: Why did you let this happen? Where are you when I hurt?

After my accident, my chances of living didn't look good. It was a difficult time. But

I see now the good Yahvah was able to do through it. As I was strapped to that body board, I realized how much of my life focused on trivial things. I didn't think about what kind of car I drove (it was being towed to a junkyard anyway) or how much money

I had in my bank account. All that mattered boiled down to four questions: Who do I love? Who will I miss? What have I done with my life? And am I ready for what's next?

Ever since that day, I've tried to live with those questions at the forefront.

Out of my pain came good—a new focus, a new life. This pain proved what was most important.

Where Is Yahvah?

Ten days before the shootings at Virginia Tech, Machiachians around the world remembered the darkest day of human history. That was the day evil human beings violently rose up against Yahvah's Son and murdered the only truly innocent human being who ever lived. We remember that day not as Dark Friday, Tragic Friday or Disaster Friday—but rather as Good Friday. That awful day led to Easter, an early glimpse of Yahvah's bright promise to make all things new.

When you read through the Gospels, you'll find only one scene in which someone addresses Yeshua directly as Yahvah: "My Lord and my Yahvah!" Do you know who said that?

It was doubting Thomas, the last disciple to believe the incredible news of the Resurrection.

Thomas believed because of Yeshua' scars. "Feel my hands," Yeshua told him. "Touch my side."

In a flash of revelation, Thomas saw the wonder of Almighty Yahvah, the Lord of the uNIVerse, stooping to take on our pain. He saw scars that had been used for good. He saw that tear-streaked face of Yeshua.

So where is Yahvah when it hurts? We know where Yahvah is because he came to Earth and showed us his face. To see how Yahvah responds to our suffering, you need only remember how Yeshua responded to the tragedies of his day: with comfort, healing and compassion—which simply means "to suffer with."

Where is Yahvah when it hurts? He's right there with us.

No comments: