Tuesday, March 17, 2009

SAMMY DAVIS JR. WIDOW DIES: ALTOVISE


Altovise Davis, the widow of singer and dancer Sammy Davis Jr., died Saturday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center of complications from a stroke, her business partner, Barrett LaRoda, said. She was 65. She was surrounded by friends and family, including her son, Manny Davis.

She married Sammy at a Philadelphia courthouse in May 1970 and were together 20 years, adopting their son Manny in 1989. Sammy Davis died of throat cancer at age 64 on May 16, 1990, five days after their 20th wedding anniversary.

My condolence go out to her family. I remember when Altovise requested Tramaine Hawkins to sing “What Shall I Do” at the Sammy Davis’s funeral. Tramaine’s performance was so moving. I don’t have that video, but here is Tramaine singing “What Shall I Do” at Bishop McMurray's service.


No comments: