Monday, July 14, 2008

MCKINNEY WINS GREEN PRES. NOMINATION



On Saturday, the U.S. Green Party chose former Democratic Rep. Cynthia McKinney as its 2008 presidential candidate.
She is joined on the ticket by vice presidential candidate Rosa Clemente, a hip-hop artist and activist.
McKinney, 53, received just over half of the votes cast at the nominating convention in Chicago.
She entered politics by following her father, an Atlanta policeman who later served in the Georgia State House. McKinney won her first seat in 1988, and later ran for and won a House race in 1992, becoming the first black woman to represent Georgia in Congress.
Clemente, 36, born in the Bronx and of Puerto Rican descent, was raised in one of the nation’s poorest communities, and became an activist and journalist angered by the Bush administration’s response in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
Of the nomination, she said, “I choose to do this, not for me, but for my generation, my community and my daughter. I don’t see the Green Party as an alternative; I see it as an imperative.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dont quite your day job. otherwise more power to you , viva Boriqua!!

Anonymous said...

Hahah! LOL!!