Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Rupert Murdoch Apologizes For Cartoon: "The Buck Stops With Me"

As the Chairman of the New York Post, I am ultimately responsible for what is printed in its pages. The buck stops with me.


Last week, we made a mistake. We ran a cartoon that offended many people. Today I want to personally apologize to any reader who felt offended, and even insulted.

Over the past couple of days, I have spoken to a number of people and I now better understand the hurt this cartoon has caused. At the same time, I have had conversations with Post editors about the situation and I can assure you - without a doubt - that the only intent of that cartoon was to mock a badly written piece of legislation. It was not meant to be racist, but unfortunately, it was interpreted by many as such.

We all hold the readers of the New York Post in high regard and I promise you that we will seek to be more attuned to the sensitivities of our community.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This apology should have come when the issue first arose. Instead the Post stood by its Cartoonist.

Either these people are just really ignorant to racism (which so is not the case) or they're just now apologizing because their pocket books are hurting.

Sorry but apology not accepted. You guys knew what you were doing but African American's didn't see the humor!