Tuesday, June 10, 2008

WHY WAS MAGIC JOHNSON SO AMPED OVER HILLARY?: Former Lakers star explains loyalty and switch to Obama

*"This is going to be a tough, tough race, but I feel that he's the man for the job," said former Los Angeles Lakers star Earvin "Magic" Johnson of Democratic Presidential nominee Barack Obama.
The one time supporter of Hillary Clinton says he is fully on board with the Illinois senator now that Sen. Clinton's race has officially been suspended. The NBA vet also says there's no time for angry Hillary fans to vote for Republican nominee John McCain out of spite.
"If we go with McCain, we'll only get the same thing that we got, and right now that's not good," said Magic, who appeared with Spike Lee at a press event to promote their new PSAs aimed at boosting AIDS awareness.
"We have to now make sure that we all rally behind [Obama], even myself, who was a Clinton supporter," Magic continued. "That's over with now. When she lost, that was over. I jumped right on [Obama's] bandwagon, I called him [and said], 'Hey, I'm a foot soldier. What you need me to do? I'm ready to go to work.'"
But why Hillary over Obama in the first place, asked EUR's Lee Bailey.
"The Clintons did more to empower African Americans and Latinos than anybody else when it wasn't fashionable to do it," Magic said. "So I've been supporting both of them a long time. I asked her to run a long time ago. So you don’t ask someone to run and then not support them. I'm happy that she ran, she ran a good race, but sometimes you end up short in the Finals."

No comments: