Monday, August 25, 2008

If You Don't Have Anything Nice To Say....


As obituaries go, this one from the Vallejo Times-Herald sets a standard for brutal honesty.

“Dolores Aguilar, born in 1929 in New Mexico, left us on Aug. 7, 2008. Dolores had no hobbies, made no contribution to society and rarely shared a kind word or deed in her life. I speak for the majority of her family when I say her presence will not be missed by many, very few tears will be shed and there will be no lamenting over her passing.

“Her family will remember Dolores and amongst ourselves we will remember her in our own way, which were mostly sad and troubling times throughout the years. We may have some fond memories of her and perhaps we will think of those times, too. But I truly believe at the end of the day all of us will really only miss what we never had, a good and kind mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. I hope she is finally at peace with herself. As for the rest of us left behind, I hope this is the beginning of a time of healing and learning to be a family again.

“There will be no service, no prayers and no closure for the family she spent a lifetime tearing apart. We cannot come together in the end to see to it that her grandchildren and great-grandchildren can say their goodbyes. So I say here for all of us, goodbye Mom.” [source]

Well! Tell em how you REALLLY feel! For a minute I had to wonder if it was even true. But if you read along you find out that yes.. this was confirmed by the newspaper and they actually interviewd the people responsible for it. this is what one of them had to say:

“I wanted to do the right thing, the honest thing,” said the 54-year-old mother of two. “When she died a co-worker gave me a copy of an obituary she wrote for her father as a kind of writing guide. What struck me was how my mother was none of the things I was reading. She was never there for us, she was never good and she left no legacy. So how could I say any of the usual things about her?”

Yahvah forbid, if anything happened to you, what would folks say?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's just a tasteless orbituary. I don't care how badly you feel about someone, you don't air their dirty laundry. Well at least that's what my momma told me. As believers this should be a general rule. Let Yahvah deal with them. In this case, she should've just left it alone and not posted anything.

Anonymous said...

I agree totally with your comment. The 1st thing I thought was how sad, it's obvious that the person writing this had a lot of unforgiveness in there heart. tThere is a saying that if you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything at all. Obviously they think that the end of their mothers life is going to start a new and better beginning which I truly doubt unless that person learns to see the good in every situation. They will never find true peace. I had a Father who passed, he was an alcoholic but with all his imperfections when I think about him I don't dwell on the bad memories, but all I remember is the good things about how much he loved me and spoiled me and treated me like a princess and what a good man he was despite his weaknesses. I am a stronger person because of my trials.