Sunday, April 6, 2008

Music 360: Rapper Common, Christian or 5%er?

Recently, Common surfaced to support Obama's pastor, Jeremiah Wright after the firestorm of controversy surrounding the pastor's statements.  Common revealed that he is actually a member of that church, which is a Christain ministry.  He just perfomed there in January for their Watch Service (see below)


It was previously believed that Common was a 5%er, and was afiliated with a crew of bonifide 5% Nation of Gods & Earths followers.  The 5% doctorine is based a great deal on Islam.   So what gives?  Is he a Christian or 5%?   I dug a little deeper and here is an interview that I found:
Common's crew was/is called Soulquarians.  (below)


From Left to Right: Talib Kweli, Common (kneeling), Mos Def, James Poyser, Erykah Badu, ?uestlove, D'Angelo, Q-Tip, J Dilla (kneeling), Bilal

Here is the answer that I found from an interview with Barnes & Noble Music, in his own words:
B&N.com: I love the song "Heaven Somewhere." It's such a spiritually uplifting song. Where does your sense of spirituality come from?

C: I try to be in tune with God and in tune with myself as much as possible. The spirit is what carries us a lot. So I respect the spirit of the ancestors and my spirit. And I try to be respectful to and considerate of other spirits too. My spirituality stems from me being raised as a Christian, but then being introduced to Islam, and then understanding that God is God. There's only one God. Different religions may take different paths to get to God, but doing right to human beings and to yourself -- God is always gonna love that.

B&N.com: Has Erykah influenced your sense of spirituality?

C: I built that as a child -- having a strong spiritual base. It then developed from my own experiences in life. But of course Erykah enhances it. That's my mate. That's my queen. So she better enhance it. She definitely does that.
CLICK HERE FOR ENTIRE INTERVIEW

Bottom Line:  Common is not dating Erykah anymore (who is DEEP into 5% Doctrine), but the influences are still there.  Soulquarians are also still an influence.  You cannot serve two masters, and this is a classic case of being unequally yoked not only with mates, but also with religions.  What do you think?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be a Christian means to be a follower of Christ-only Christ. His Word says that he is the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one gets to the Father but through Him.

Anonymous said...

I'm so saddened that read this post and have to get rid of his CDs now. I was a big fan of his, and it saddens me how easily he was swayed from CHRIST.

Lyrical Dreams said...

Calm down, you shouldn't base whether you like his music or not on his Religion. It saddens me how naive you are to assume that his being swayed from Christ was definitely an easy process.
I think that Common's words and beliefs are inspirational.

pmodel1 said...

I agree with Lyrical Dreams. Common sounds like the type of guy is spiritual and not religious; and there's nothing wrong with that. He is an inspiration and whenever I see Common, his spirit radiates with love. That's more than I can say about most "so called" Christians.

Anonymous said...

i don't know how many of you realize this, but we are ALL spiritual in that God Almighty gave each one of us a spirit, and because of that, we ALL have an inborn desire to want to know God as our Heavenly Father, and whether anyone here believes this or not, we did know God as our Heavenly Father before we were born and our spirits were in Heaven with Him, but after we were born, we passed from God's Heavenly realm and into this sin-filled world and were born into sin. All of this was allowed by God, because He loves us SOOO much that He wants us to choose Him, and He won't make us choose Him. He wants it to be a decision we make of our own free wills, just like the way we decide to serve other things and not Him. God's Word states CLEARLY that NO man can serve two masters, so common talking about he believes in God has me wondering what God he's talking about, because the God I know and have grown up knowing is the ONLY God there is, and He's not made in my image, but I'm made in His Image.

Unknown said...

https://youtu.be/RoCH7RI3TXA

Anonymous said...

No one goes can go to God without Jesus. I like Common, but will reconsider based on his relationship with Christ.